You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using os 10.15.7 on desktop iMac. Cannot open photos to download pictures.

Using OS 10.15.7 on desktop IMac. Cannot open Photos application to download pictures. Each time I click on the Photo icon it says "'Photos was unable to open the library “Photos Library”. (4302)'"

Know very little about computers, would some please tell me step-by-step what to do. Thanks

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 2:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 6:32 PM

Thank you Tony. After trying for days to get it to work, this time it worked. Holding the option key while opening the Photo application and following your direction imported the older pictures from iPhoto.

You are doing good things!

5 replies

Feb 25, 2021 3:20 PM in response to mkmitigates

Macos is your mac operating system. The OS version 10.15.7 that you mentioned. But that doesn't matter now that you've told me you've migrated from an older mac.

First - you need to make sure you have a backup of the iPhoto library. We will be upgrading it to work with photos, and that can (rarely) go wrong. If you still have the lirbrary on your old mac (I'm pretty certain you will if you still have that mac), that is good enough as a backup.

Then you need to hold down the option key while you are starting photos. You'll get a library select pane like the one in the screenshot. If your migrated iPhoto library is listed, then you can just select it and click open. If it is not, then click "other library" and find it (hopefully in your pictures folder)

Once you have opened it in photos, photos will start the upgrade process. This can take some time - possibly even days if the library is very large. Be patient, and leave the mac on all the time connected to power.

Once the library is converted you should be able to use it normally.

Using os 10.15.7 on desktop iMac. Cannot open photos to download pictures.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.