You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOSX randomly prompts for system password

Is it normal for Mac OSX to just out of the blue prompt you for a password with no explanation and expect the user to just enter the password?

Seems very suspicious when that happens. This has happened twice now since owning the MacBook. I know it prompts afterwards that Big Sur 11.x.x is available to download and will be installed tonight. but to randomly prompt you while you're typing up an email and completely disrupt your workflow is a little much.

Are these notifications THAT important that it needs to disrupt the user? That seems like a terrible experience.

I feel like this is a bug?

Even Windows doesn't do that, granted it doesn't ask for the user's password.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 10:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 11:31 AM

Yes I know it’s from auto update. That’s not my point.

My point is, I was in the middle of typing an email when it popped up which stole focus.

If this is intended behaviour for OSX to just interrupt whatever it is you’re doing or typing at the time to prompt for a password then that’s a pretty bad experience. Even Windows or Linux doesn’t force a password prompt for auto updates.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 26, 2021 11:31 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

My point is, I was in the middle of typing an email when it popped up which stole focus.

If this is intended behaviour for OSX to just interrupt whatever it is you’re doing or typing at the time to prompt for a password then that’s a pretty bad experience. Even Windows or Linux doesn’t force a password prompt for auto updates.

Feb 26, 2021 5:10 PM in response to MyApple8MyPC

My question was is it normal behavior for System Update to prompt you for your password before telling you that it will schedule an update for later tonight.

The notification about the Big Sur update came AFTER I cancelled the prompt as I typically do not blindly enter my credentials without know the context of what I am putting my credentials for.

I guess I am the only one who finds it backwards that you are told what System Update needs your credentials for AFTER you have entered them.

Feb 26, 2021 11:08 AM in response to Dan.M

It's the standard

"Software Update is trying to authenticate user. Please enter the password for user to allow this." prompt

I know it's for "Software Update" but why would it randomly just pop up THEN tell me Big Sur has an update. I would assume it would be the other way around. A toast notification saying Big Sur has an update. Please click here. I'm not going to enter my system password for a random pop up I was not expecting.

Call me paranoid. lol

Feb 26, 2021 12:01 PM in response to Dan.M

Dan.M wrote:

It may not be your point but it is the point. When you have auto update on the computer needs to check the servers to see if an update is available. If you don't want the computer to check the servers then you need to turn that feature off. You can also check the iCloud section of Systems Preferences and make sure that your password is registered there, as iCloud will have this same characteristic.

Feb 26, 2021 5:34 PM in response to etresoft

That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw it the first time. So I hit cancel rather than typing in my password. Then I got the notification that there was a Big Sur 11.2.1 update that will be installed later that night. So I manually went into System Preferences to check for updates and installed it from there

And it happaned again today for Big Sur 11.2.2 so I figured I would ask here if it was normal behavior. I didn't take a screenshot of it at the time but it is your typical window from OSX that a program needs your password to continue.

MacOSX randomly prompts for system password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.