You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBA Early 2015 - Battery Service Recommended

Hello, Everyone. I have a Macbook Air Early 2015 model and it's been about 4 and half years since I purchased it. The Battery's Charge cycles currently is 1193. Battery's capacity has decreased drastically. I thought of replacing the battery in apple's authorised service centre in my country but the cost for a new battery would be 18000/- INR (~250$) and the service representatives evaluated my macbook and recommended me that my motherboard is corroded because of exposure to moisture and adding a new battery maybe dangerous, so they advised me to change the motherboard too before replacing the battery. It's going to cost me additional 35000/- INR (~475$) that makes it a total of 725$ just for the repairs. Amusingly I purchased this MBA for 815$ back in 2016. I can see that performance of my MBA has dropped and it heats up a lot.

I would like to know if this MBA can still be used or would it be dead one day all of a sudden? Anyone here are still using Macbooks older than 5 years without any issues? Any suggestions about what can be done?

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 7:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 5:21 PM

If the Logic Board has corrosion on it, then it is only a matter of time before the Logic Board will fail. It doesn't make any sense to pay for a battery replacement if the Logic Board has corrosion on it and will likely fail at any time. Since the cost of the repair will be nearly the same price as you originally paid for the laptop you should consider purchasing a new computer instead.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 1, 2021 5:21 PM in response to amoghp98

If the Logic Board has corrosion on it, then it is only a matter of time before the Logic Board will fail. It doesn't make any sense to pay for a battery replacement if the Logic Board has corrosion on it and will likely fail at any time. Since the cost of the repair will be nearly the same price as you originally paid for the laptop you should consider purchasing a new computer instead.

MBA Early 2015 - Battery Service Recommended

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.