You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie won't export and nothing I do will fix this. Help

Nothing I try will get iMovie to export again. What do I do now?

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 9:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 9:30 AM

Try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the export feature is working.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 1, 2021 9:30 AM in response to Grrr-iMovie

Try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the export feature is working.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Mar 3, 2021 7:20 PM in response to Grrr-iMovie

Exporting to an ExFat external drive should work. But you can't put an iMovie library or Photos library on it, because to store and operate them requires a drive to be formatted APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

I would try formatting the external drive to APFS or to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then see if you can export to it. Be aware that reformatting a drive, if you go that route, will erase all data on the drive. So first backup all data that you want to keep.

-- Rich

Mar 3, 2021 7:32 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks for your advice. I will save this information for future reference. For now, I only export the rendered movie files and single images to upload to YouTube. This works for me.

I am leaving the iMovie Library and Photo Library on my Mac. In any case I have a time machine external HD for the back up of these libraries.

Cheers, Glenn

iMovie won't export and nothing I do will fix this. Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.