You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Searching for a printer driver for Samsung SCX4828FN

I just got a new Mac with BigSur and the printer driver I had with Catalina does'nt run anymore.

Very bas surprise as I'm in a work rush and my printer can't be used.

Did'nt finf that driver yet at Samsung neither to HP site.

If you know where I could get a reliable custom driver that could also print PDF format I would appreciate your suggestions very much.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 5:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 5:51 PM

Yeah you are supposed to check these things out before you upgrade or buy a new mac,

have you still got your old mac?

That printer was last supported in macOS Mojave according to the HP website,

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/samsung-scx-4828-laser-multifunction-printer-series/17157038

Try gutenprint, http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 1, 2021 5:51 PM in response to gérard81

Yeah you are supposed to check these things out before you upgrade or buy a new mac,

have you still got your old mac?

That printer was last supported in macOS Mojave according to the HP website,

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/samsung-scx-4828-laser-multifunction-printer-series/17157038

Try gutenprint, http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

Mar 1, 2021 6:11 PM in response to gérard81

Are you saying it was working in Big Sur and then you updated to 11.2.2 and now does not work.

Incremental system updates should not destroy your printing capabilities.

Have you restarted the mac or tried a Safe Mode start,

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support

It also may be worth Resetting the Printing System,

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Mar 1, 2021 6:38 PM in response to gérard81

Hi,

As suggested by Eau Rouge, you may want to try a printing system reset (and re-adding the printer) to begin with. Check whether the operating system shows a suitable driver.

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

How is your printer connected? USB or Ethernet?

If there is a problem with USB, try a network connection (via one of the LAN ports of a router) instead.

Also, see the Add a network printer by its IP address section in the Add a printer on Mac article.

The SCX-4828FN supports both PCL6 and PostScript 3 printer languages, so you may want to test a macOS generic driver (the Use: pop-up menu) for one of these.

Mar 1, 2021 6:00 PM in response to Eau Rouge

thank you Eau Rouge for your prompt reply

got a new mac as no more upgrade of many software thart I use for BigSur

My printer was running very well as usual on Catalina

was running well too on BigSur vrersion installed on my new mac

until an recent upgrade of BigSur 11.2.2 : bang ! no more printer...

still have my old that works very well

Tried gutenprint but the database don't include my printer

very annoying situation as I just bought a new toner cartridge !

Hope a wise guy would write such a driver as thousands of it are still on the market and are very appreciated

Mar 2, 2021 2:34 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

HI Jan

I made 2 printing system resets and tried many time re-adding the printer with 3 driver printer versions.

The drivers installed just didn't appear and the printer list in Preferences/Scanners & Printer was alway empty.

For years, my printed is connected by USB cable. This is not a USB problem.

I not only lost my printer but also the possibiliy of that driver to print in PDF files.

I will look for a Mac generic driver but up to now I never used such a driver

Thank you for your suggestions.

Mar 2, 2021 2:41 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Hi Eau Rouge.

I got my new Mac and installed Big Sur. Everything was fine.

Two days later, an upgrade for 11.2.2 was suggested and I installed it. Then "Kaput ! " No more printer available.

I did'nt start yet in Safe Mode and I resetted many time the Printing System and tried to re install many driver version. Nothing works.

That anoying situation is frustating as I'm a SOHO worker currently in a rush of work. One week ago, I just bought a new cartridge of toner ( more than 150$) and now my printer is temporary out of order...

Searching for a printer driver for Samsung SCX4828FN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.