You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I tried downloading the recent upgrade of mac OS "Big Sur," but I am getting a message "not enought free space on the selected volume to update to OS. An additional 9 GB is required. How do I upgrade the additional 9GB?

I tried downloading the recent upgrade of Mac OS "Big Sur," but I am getting a message "not enough free space on the selected volume to upgrade to OS. Add additional 9GB is require." How do I add the 9GB?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 9:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 9:09 AM

You don't add the 9GB. You have to free space on your drive.

See: How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies

Mar 7, 2021 9:56 AM in response to migdalia194

The files that you have control over are located in the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music, Movies and Applications folders.  You can use either of these two free apps, GrandPerspective  or OmniDiscSweeper, to find the largest files on your drive so you can determine if they can be deleted or moved to an external HD for storage.  

Note: you can empty the Downloads folder after the apps and/or updates that were downloaded have been installed or applied.  Many users have found a couple of Gigabytes of files in their Downloads folder which are no longer needed. 

I tried downloading the recent upgrade of mac OS "Big Sur," but I am getting a message "not enought free space on the selected volume to update to OS. An additional 9 GB is required. How do I upgrade the additional 9GB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.