You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

back up photo library

How do I download my iCloud photo library directly to seagate hard drive

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 5:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 12:20 AM

First, you need to make sure your external drive is properly set up:

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives)

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine.

It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

I assume it is not an SSD. You will probably need to reformat it using disk utility to MacOS extended (journaled), and then check you can set the ignore ownership check box in the drive information pane. (first screenshot)

Once you have done that:

• Create a folder on the newly formatted drive to hold your library
  • launch photos while holding down the option key. Select "create new" to create a new empty library in the folder, and open the new library. (second screenshot)
  • Go to photos>preferences general tab and click the use as system photo library button (third screenshot)
  • Then go to the preferences icloud tab and set up as shown in the fourth screenshot.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 9, 2021 12:20 AM in response to NicoletteT

First, you need to make sure your external drive is properly set up:

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives)

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine.

It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

I assume it is not an SSD. You will probably need to reformat it using disk utility to MacOS extended (journaled), and then check you can set the ignore ownership check box in the drive information pane. (first screenshot)

Once you have done that:

• Create a folder on the newly formatted drive to hold your library
  • launch photos while holding down the option key. Select "create new" to create a new empty library in the folder, and open the new library. (second screenshot)
  • Go to photos>preferences general tab and click the use as system photo library button (third screenshot)
  • Then go to the preferences icloud tab and set up as shown in the fourth screenshot.

back up photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.