You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing ‘Greyed out’ songs that I haven’t selected to sync

Hi... Please Help, this is driving me mad!!!!

So I’ve been round this many times and tried lots of different things.....

when I sync music to my iPhone using my windows laptop, I am getting a lot of extra songs added to my library.

they are copies of songs I have but they are greyed out. They are not songs I have selected to be synced. Some are songs I bought on iTunes, some are ones I previously bought and uploaded in other ways.

I don’t have WiFi sync or cloud library or anything like that turned on.

I deleted everything from phone and started syncing one album at a time to resolve, get so far in with it working, then suddenly a load of extra ‘greyed out’ songs appear....

so annoying.

any ideas?

photo below a random example of an album it has synced without me selecting it, if I sync the album I will have the songs available to play but still have these ghost copies also so each song will be listed twice unless I delete the ghost version....

thanks in advance

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 9:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 2:40 PM

The only suggestion I have is to completely remove iTunes and do a clean install. See the Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components section in:

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Wi… - Apple Community

This should not affect your music library, but it would be prudent to back it up first, just in case:

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

or

Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC - Apple Support

If you still have these problems, then that may point to a corrupted music library.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 13, 2021 2:40 PM in response to RobP101

The only suggestion I have is to completely remove iTunes and do a clean install. See the Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components section in:

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Wi… - Apple Community

This should not affect your music library, but it would be prudent to back it up first, just in case:

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

or

Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC - Apple Support

If you still have these problems, then that may point to a corrupted music library.

Syncing ‘Greyed out’ songs that I haven’t selected to sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.