You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Built-in camera not detected?

So a couple of days ago i noticed that my camera stopped working completely. It is not detected in Zoom/FaceTime and it doesn't appear in System Reports. Is this a hardware problem? If so, it's quite weird because i didn't drop it or anything at all.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 8:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 2:10 AM

Try the SMC Reset - this applies to Intel based machines. If M1 Machine - Shutdown and Hold Power Button / Touch ID Button ( both the same item ) for 10 seconds and perform 3 times in a row. Then Test. If still not builtin camera in System Prifle - arrange for Apple Authorized Repairs

3 replies

Mar 15, 2021 8:20 PM in response to Akhazriel

Go check in the System Information app found in LaunchPad, see under the Camera section if there is a FaceTime HD Camera listed. This shows whether there is a recognized camera or not.

If the camera is not showing anywhere in the system, it may be a hardware error as no software is able to detect it. You may need to switch the full screen as the camera is integrated into it.

Built-in camera not detected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.