You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet: Connected, yet not actually connected

This problem is specific to the iMac identified. All other iMacs, MacBooks and other devices continue to work normally on the same network.

If my iMac does a self-imposed shutdown, or if I shutdown or restart, all apps requiring internet act like there is no internet connection. If I go to the Network System Preference Pane, however, everything looks normal (and it is for my other devices). Misc acts like switching wifi on and off, etc. fail to fix anything.

BUT, my app connections eventually come back, if I absolutely do not shut my computer down at any point. It could be a few hours, but most likely a few days or as much as a week. I monitor my status by keeping Speedtest running and try to run it from time to time. If that works, all other apps requiring internet also work again. As long, as the Mac is NOT ever shut down for any reason, the web apps will continue to function normally. Otherwise, same vicious cycle. Inevitably, the iMac itself finds a reason to shut itself down or do a restart, and I'm screwed again.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 12:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 12:23 PM

Please refer to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202663.

If you still use your ISP's DNS settings please change those.

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 21, 2021 8:52 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for the linked Support document. That's the first time that I've heard of Wireless Diagnostics, let alone the key-combo necessary to get it running. Nothing useful from using that (so far). As for DNS, I don't remember ever doing anything with DNS settings before (with my ISP or any others). In my network preferences there is nothing in the DNS server pane except a greyed-out 192.168.1.1 I wouldn't even know how to find my ISP DNS settings if I ever had any.

So, at the moment I'm still Wifi-connected in the Network preferences, but NOT connected to any Internet app. It's been almost a week this time.

Internet: Connected, yet not actually connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.