You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3rd party mail deletion

Hi!

I am wondering if, when I use the Mail app to get mail from 3rd part e-mail services (AOL, Google, etc.), and I configure the app to “Never” delete mail from the server, will it also never delete e-mails when I manually delete them from my iPad. I am to the point where need to be using my iPad to deal with e-mail, but I want to leave deleted e-mails on the server to be collected and archived by my MacPro and only deleted when I delete them from that machine.

Thanks!

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 9:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 6:12 PM

The limitations that you perceive are not unique to iOS/iPadOS, but are fundamental limitations of using IMAP/POP3 across multiple clients to manage your mail.

The IMAP-service model presumes that the master-copy of your mailbox always resides on the Mail Server - each client downloading a local working copy.

By contrast, POP3 clients simply download email to the local client where it is managed; email is either deleted from the server upon download (i.e., Download & Delete) - or downloaded, leaving a copy in the server server inbox until such time as email messages are moved or deleted.

If you run your own Mail server (such as MS Exchange), you will have far more flexibility in how you manage and organise your email.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 20, 2021 6:12 PM in response to Chaz1138

The limitations that you perceive are not unique to iOS/iPadOS, but are fundamental limitations of using IMAP/POP3 across multiple clients to manage your mail.

The IMAP-service model presumes that the master-copy of your mailbox always resides on the Mail Server - each client downloading a local working copy.

By contrast, POP3 clients simply download email to the local client where it is managed; email is either deleted from the server upon download (i.e., Download & Delete) - or downloaded, leaving a copy in the server server inbox until such time as email messages are moved or deleted.

If you run your own Mail server (such as MS Exchange), you will have far more flexibility in how you manage and organise your email.

Mar 20, 2021 9:30 AM in response to Chaz1138

The only practical way to acheive what I think you are suggesting is to have a mixed configuration for your iPad and your PC/Mac computer - and have some self discipline in how and when you delete email.

Starting with a PC/Mac - your might consider configuring the Mail client to access your email providers email using POP3. POP3 clients can be configired in one of two main modes; Download and Delete or Download and Leave a Copy on the Server. You will need to configure your POP3 Mail client to the latter.

Whenever your computer Mail client collects mail, it downloads a copy of your inbox to your computer (this being your archive copy). Messages if subsequently moved to local folders, or deleted from the inbox, will be removed from the Server.

Next, for your iPad, you can configure your Mail client for IMAP. Your iPad will remain in-step with the server; as messages are removed from the server, they will be similarly discarded from the iPad.

You should note that in setting Deleted Messages to Never only inhibits automatic deletion of deleted mail items from the deleted email folder of your iPad; this setting does not fully inhibit manual deletion. Your “discipline” comes here - in that you may wish to only delete mail using your computer. If you delete messages from your IMAP-configured iPad, they will cease to be visible to your computer. That said, if your computer has already downloaded a copy, these messages will remain locally stored on your computer.

Mar 20, 2021 5:44 PM in response to LotusPilot

Okay. Thank for getting back to me. I will think about this, but it looks like I may not e able to do what I wanted. What I wanted to do is use my iPad to respond to e-mails either by answering or checking out links and attachments from sites and people I trust, and then be able to delete them from my iPad without deleting them from my desktop.

The thing is, if I configure my desktop to work with POP3, then none of the folders I have set up will be available when I download copies of the e-mails to my iPad. Everything will be orderly on my desktop, but downloading the same e-mails on my iPad will result in a hodgepodge of that will not be sorted categories that will allow me go go through them in a fashion that makes sense to me. Configuring both of them to IMAP will allow things to be orderly on my iPad, but I will not be able to use my desktop as an archive device. One more thing that sucks about iOS.

3rd party mail deletion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.