You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail error "message could not be sent because your account does not have a preferred outgoing mail server"

I leave my iMac on with Mail running. Almost every time that I go to send an email after a period of inactivity I get this error. The connection is fine, I can receive emails OK.

I have to select Edit Message, that allows me to quit and restart mail, then I can send without a problem.

This is the only account on this machine.

I've only seen this issue since upgrading to Big Sur... not sure which particular sub-version introduced it though. I'm currently running 11.2.3.

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 6:33 AM

14 replies

Mar 27, 2021 6:44 AM in response to Kaz_GL6

Have to ask - Is there ANY Antivirus Software installed ? Are you running behind a VPN ? These Cra*ware will interfere with the Normal Operation of the OS, reck havoc and even are known to corrupt a perfectly running OS.

Point # 2 - Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

Mar 27, 2021 3:02 AM in response to Kaz_GL6

While in Apple Mail >> Preferences >> Account ( should be iCloud ) >> Server Settings >> Outgoing Mail Account. Now, should be listing iCloud. If you click in there is there some other named server listed? If so - remove and just leave the iCloud listing.

Personal on this - used to have my ISP email in there but removed it ( Internet Account ) but the Server listing remained and caused similar issue as yours.

Mar 27, 2021 6:25 AM in response to PRP_53

I can access mail absolutely fine from pretty much everywhere. The only issue I have is that Mail on my iMac seems to forget the server details if left idle for a long time. Just quitting mail and restarting it always fixes it, so I guess the workaround is not to leave Mail open - but I expect Apple software to "work".

The fact that I don't have to change anything to "fix" the problem (apart from restarting Mail) points to a "system" type problem to me.

Drafts also son't save if you choose that option - so again I think it is a "system" issue.

Apple mail error "message could not be sent because your account does not have a preferred outgoing mail server"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.