You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2021 Mac mini

Hi smarter tan me:

my tv has necessary HDMI port.

ls it possible to use it wirelessly to my Mac mini rather then with a cable? Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 11:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 8:19 PM

Hello, more sensible than me:

I have occasionally used my 4K TV as a monitor with my M1 Mac-Mini. This setup however was with an HDMI cable connected to the Mac-Mini and the Television. It works well however the resolution and refresh rates can cause blurry fonts etc.

You also asked whether this can be done wirelessly. It can through the Screen Mirroring (AirPlay) feature. Your TV has to be AirPlay compatible. If you are not sure then it probably is not. You can check its manual. If the TV is not AirPlay compatible then there has to be the AppleTV device connected to it. There is one big catch. Your Mac-Mini will not automatically connect / Screen Mirror to your TV without being connected to an external Display. This is because you will have to input your password at boot up. Once the Mac Mini has booted then you have to manually select Screen Mirror and the Television.

Best bet for you is to use the HDMI to HDMI cable between the Mac Mini and your TV.

Axel F.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 2, 2021 8:19 PM in response to 3307wyoming

Hello, more sensible than me:

I have occasionally used my 4K TV as a monitor with my M1 Mac-Mini. This setup however was with an HDMI cable connected to the Mac-Mini and the Television. It works well however the resolution and refresh rates can cause blurry fonts etc.

You also asked whether this can be done wirelessly. It can through the Screen Mirroring (AirPlay) feature. Your TV has to be AirPlay compatible. If you are not sure then it probably is not. You can check its manual. If the TV is not AirPlay compatible then there has to be the AppleTV device connected to it. There is one big catch. Your Mac-Mini will not automatically connect / Screen Mirror to your TV without being connected to an external Display. This is because you will have to input your password at boot up. Once the Mac Mini has booted then you have to manually select Screen Mirror and the Television.

Best bet for you is to use the HDMI to HDMI cable between the Mac Mini and your TV.

Axel F.

Apr 2, 2021 9:21 PM in response to Axel Foley

Alex. I got with a clerk at Best Buy and went with an eight foot cable. What you said about resolution makes me wonder about that length. I also bought a new keyboard. I’m pretty jazzed about this set up for my computer needs. The monitor seems to be the weakest part of computer lives and now it’s easy to replace.

Thanks for your interest. I’m waiting till tomorrow to set up. Happy spring to you. Pat

Apr 6, 2021 7:00 PM in response to Axel Foley

Axel. I went with the HDMI cable, it works fine and cheaper than going wireless.

My remaining issue is the menu or tool bar is stuck up, out of sight.

There are some helpful ideas on this discussion site but none worked for me.

I believe this Mac mini I just bought is a new model and the discussions were several years old. Oh well. If I push the curser up into the top edge and click Some section will come down.

I don’t do much with computers. Mainly I wanted something to attach my printer to. I’m just happy spring is coming and snow is melting. Pat

Apr 6, 2021 8:27 PM in response to 3307wyoming

Hi Pat,

The menu bar should not be hidden unless you set it that way in System Preferences. Let's double check something-

Open the System Preferences app ➔ Dock & Menu Bar ➔ Menu Bar (All the way in the bottom in right column) ➔ Automatically Hide and Show the Menu Bar: Ensure that this option is UNCHECKED.

Hope that you are enjoying your new monitor (TV) and that it is not hard on the eyes and everything is displayed clearly.

Axel F.

Apr 6, 2021 11:44 PM in response to 3307wyoming

Some TVs have overscan, so you don't see the edges of the image. This can blur the image a bit, and hide the Menu bar. The Underscan option in Displays system preference can compensate for this, but you get a better picture if you can fix it on the TV. Look for picture size setting on the TV. The correct setting may be called 100%, Pixel-to-Pixel, Full-Size ...

Apr 7, 2021 10:32 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Malcom. I noticed that under scan option mentioned before. However that check box does not exist under Displays in my system preferences. Discussions I have noticed for Mac Mini were pre2021.

I think this year is redesigned.

I struck out finding adjustments on the TV. It is a cheap one I bought awhile back. Maybe that’s my trouble. Thanks

2021 Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.