You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it the same when an iphone is erased because of too many incorrect wrong passcode attempts vs a factory reset?

My dad signed up for an apple id with his company email, but the company later closed down, and he no longer has access to that email address. He’s unable to sign in to his Apple ID because he’s forgotten his password, and cannot reset his password because the apple ID was registered using his now deactivated company email address.

He recently got a new phone and we’re planning to sell his old phone. We have the passcode but we’re unable to perform a factory reset via the settings because it requires his apple ID password. I found a setting that deletes all the data if the passcode is incorrectly entered 10 times, and I wonder if that does the same thing as a factory reset?

Otherwise, is there any other way to remove his apple ID from the phone? Thanks!

iPhone 8

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 6:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 7:01 PM

No! It'll still be Activation Locked and you'll need the original Apple ID to get in.

First you'll have to try to recover the Apple ID. Try this:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

and this

How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 3, 2021 7:02 PM in response to Tuuuleeee

No, the 10 passcode attempt erase will retain the Apple ID and will request it when the iPhone is set up again. It will be activation locked to the Apple ID and will not be able to be used until the correct password is entered for the Apple ID.

Your dad will need to contact Apple Support to recover access to the Apple ID, and remove it from the iPhone: Link-> If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

link-> Contact Apple Support

Is it the same when an iphone is erased because of too many incorrect wrong passcode attempts vs a factory reset?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.