You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notification sounds not working in imessage (Big Sur)

I'm on Big Sur 11.2.3 and realized I am no longer receiving imessage sound effects. I have my settings in my imessage preferences turned on - other apps have sound. I have followed the guides in a few other posts about checking my settings and all of those threads were dead ends with no official resolution. Those threads are too old to post a follow up so here I am adding my name to the list - how do I get my notification dings back? The notification itself pops up in the upper right, but there are no chime/note/alert noise.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 1:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 11:29 AM

For anyone looking for the answer - turns out my external monitor was set to the alert notification device instead of whichever system default device I was using... (annoying and not sure why I'd want those separate, but also don't see a way to make alerts default to the system default either). I hope this helps someone.

(Sound preferences -> Sound effects tab -> "Play sound effects through" drop down selection to proper audio output and ensure volume is at full throttle)

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 17, 2021 11:29 AM in response to gleep52

For anyone looking for the answer - turns out my external monitor was set to the alert notification device instead of whichever system default device I was using... (annoying and not sure why I'd want those separate, but also don't see a way to make alerts default to the system default either). I hope this helps someone.

(Sound preferences -> Sound effects tab -> "Play sound effects through" drop down selection to proper audio output and ensure volume is at full throttle)

Notification sounds not working in imessage (Big Sur)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.