You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting an iPad storage exceeds iClould storage capacity and iPad won't back up.

I am getting a more iCloud Storage needed message on my iPad with the details that I am storing 29.81 GB of photos and videos, exceeding the 20.87 GB of available iCloud storage. I think the issue is that I was also storing original photos on the iPad instead of optimizing storage. I turned off Photos under iCloud on the iPad, and deleted all photos from the iPad. I deleted all photos from the Recently Deleted folder. I have turned off the iPad and restarted it twice. But I am still getting this message when I try to turn the iCloud Photos back on. Not sure what I am doing wrong, or is there a need to wait a certain amount of time?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 3:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 7:07 PM

I ended up deleting a sufficient number of photos from iCloud to bring the stored data below the amount that the iPad supposedly needed to back up, and that allowed me to turn on Photos under iCloud on the iPad, and keep the Optimize setting to avoid this issue again, hopefully.

1 reply

I keep getting an iPad storage exceeds iClould storage capacity and iPad won't back up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.