You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

,webp files

Yes, there is another thread about this, but Apple won't let me reply to it.

Since Big Sur, if I drag and drop images from the web to my desktop - memes, for example - Safari adds .webp to the image without asking for my authority. No site I frequent will take .webp images; they are just grayed out. the files come out like this: meme.jpg.webp. If I just remove the .webp from the file in finder, they aren't grayed out, but the sites say something like File Is Not an Image As Expected. So, I have to take screen shots of the image in Finder or Preview. There has to be a better way.

Why is Apple foisting this worthless format on us anyway? I would like to prevent this from ever happening. Or maybe I'll have to use another browser.

Thanks in advance.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 4:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 5:04 PM

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 26, 2021 5:04 PM in response to George Pepper

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

,webp files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.