You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Step Verification code issue -

Ive followed advice to enter a verification code just after my password when trying to access iTunes and Apple TV but it fails every time on a Sony TV. When checking my iPad I see that that is says my Apple TV 3 does not accept two-step verification codes. If this is the case then I cannot set the Smart TV up as it is now. Does this mean I must upgrade my Apply TV unit? Any other options? Help please.

One other option is to just chromecast from my iPad. Is that what others are doing?

Apple TV 3, 8

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 3:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 7:45 AM

Unless you have very old trusted devices, or unless your account isn't eligible, users are encouraged to switch from two-step verification to two-factor authentication, which is a bit different (and better). Confirm which feature you're using. Two-step verification uses 4 digits, two-factor authentication uses 6 digits for the the verification code. Two-factor authentication can’t be turned off (temporarily), after the first two weeks.

If you have an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) and two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, then you may be asked to type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field. Additionally, there is a time limit, after which the code becomes invalid.

Try this: First enter the characters of your password (do not submit yet), then manually request a new verification code, then append that code to the password (no spaces or other separating characters), and then submit. That should help you get passed the time limit.

This procedure isn’t needed with the Apple TV app among the apps on a smart TV. On modern devices you will be promoted for the verification code separately.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 30, 2021 7:45 AM in response to MalSproull

Unless you have very old trusted devices, or unless your account isn't eligible, users are encouraged to switch from two-step verification to two-factor authentication, which is a bit different (and better). Confirm which feature you're using. Two-step verification uses 4 digits, two-factor authentication uses 6 digits for the the verification code. Two-factor authentication can’t be turned off (temporarily), after the first two weeks.

If you have an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) and two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, then you may be asked to type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field. Additionally, there is a time limit, after which the code becomes invalid.

Try this: First enter the characters of your password (do not submit yet), then manually request a new verification code, then append that code to the password (no spaces or other separating characters), and then submit. That should help you get passed the time limit.

This procedure isn’t needed with the Apple TV app among the apps on a smart TV. On modern devices you will be promoted for the verification code separately.

Apr 30, 2021 3:10 AM in response to MalSproull

Welcome to the Apple Community.

If you are using two-factor authentication on an older device…

You should be able to append the code to your password and enter that (i.e. if your password is ABC and your code is 123, enter ABC123), however, if this doesn't work it may be that you are running out of time (30s) using your authentication code and you may want to delay getting your code until the last minute or temporarily disable the 2 step verification/2 factor authentication, although it shouldn’t be necessary.

Two Step Verification code issue -

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.