You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina Mid 2015 2nd screen thunderbolt to HDMI

Hi there,

I'm having a problem connecting a second screen (link) using a thunderbolt port.

The screen has a HDMI cable, and when connected over the actual HDMI port to my Mac works well and the resolution is "2560 x 1440 (QHD/WQHD - Wide Quad High Definition)", actually without me changing/adjusting anything.

Unfortunately, the HDMI port in my Mac is already occupied, and I needed an alternative. I have therefore bought a "Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter" (link). Unfortunately, the screen, when plugged in this way, does not operate with the proper resolution. Resolution "Default for display" is then "1920 x 1080 (1080p FHD - Full High Definition)".

This is an effect I get for two different screens (but same model, actually), and the trigger is always going via thunderbolt with this adapter.

Questions, please:

1. Should this (in principle) work? That is, is it technically possible for that screen to operate with the correct resolution 2560 x 1440 when plugged to a thunderbolt?
  2. Can it be that this is caused by the adapter, or is it more likely a thunderbolt's fault?
  3. Could it (in principle) work over USB, with a USB-HDMI adapter?
  4. Is there less "technical risk" going with either of the thunderbold-HDMI vs USB-HDMI adapters?

Any insights greatly appreciated.

Posted on May 9, 2021 8:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2021 9:04 AM

HDMI was invented for HD TV sets, and you must take great care when selecting adapters and cables to get ones good enough for any uses higher than a 720p TV set.

Simply reading the link for the inexpensive adapter you bought, it does NOT appear to claim to support higher resolutions.

Similar questions

1 reply

MacBook Pro Retina Mid 2015 2nd screen thunderbolt to HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.