You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen ipad

Is there anyway of recovering the serial number when I bought it secondhand but have used it for six years for everything and it’s been deactivated on find my iphone

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on May 11, 2021 6:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 7:54 AM

If the iPad is signed-in against your AppleID account, you should be able to obtain the serial number from your list of signed-in devices:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] - scroll to the bottom of the page to see your devices (tap to reveal details)

Here is Apple’s advice for lost or stolen devices:

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 11, 2021 7:54 AM in response to raelene257

If the iPad is signed-in against your AppleID account, you should be able to obtain the serial number from your list of signed-in devices:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] - scroll to the bottom of the page to see your devices (tap to reveal details)

Here is Apple’s advice for lost or stolen devices:

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

Jun 4, 2021 1:39 AM in response to raelene257

If the iPad has been fully signed-out of iCloud - and the Activation Lock deactivated - you will have no technical means by which to locate or manage the lost/stolen device.

As for the Police, they don’t “track” anything. The theft is recorded - and if your property is subsequently recovered, may help to reunite you with the item.

Stolen ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.