You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS14.5 and 14.5.1 stop older apps working

After changing my iPad to iOS 14.5.1 the change has stopped many of my older apps from working - I just see a screen message stating that they need to be updated. Unfortunately these are also my favourite apps and are no longer supported meaning an update isn’t possible and they’re list to me. I wish that Apple wasn’t so annoyingly controlling and would allow older iOS versions to be reinstalled.

anyone else noticing this problem?

Posted on May 12, 2021 2:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2021 2:48 PM

Unfortunately, if an app will not support the iOS on your device, there isn't much you can do if the app developer refuses to update their app. That is on the app developer.

Apple has never supported downgrading iOS on devices. It is a security risk to do that, since most iOS updates also contain security fixes that address issues that have been discovered in older iOS.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 12, 2021 2:48 PM in response to Y_Cymro

Unfortunately, if an app will not support the iOS on your device, there isn't much you can do if the app developer refuses to update their app. That is on the app developer.

Apple has never supported downgrading iOS on devices. It is a security risk to do that, since most iOS updates also contain security fixes that address issues that have been discovered in older iOS.

May 12, 2021 5:36 PM in response to Y_Cymro

This is not Apple's doing, but the fault of third party app developers.

If your iPad was waaay behind in iOS/iPadOS upgrades/updates, older apps that were older 32-bit apps that have been long unsupported and no longer upgraded to Apple's newest 64-bit code way back in 2016/2017 with the introduction of iOS 11, will NO longer launch or function.

It's 2021 now.

It is highly likely these apps will never be upgraded, at all, at this late date.

These apps, also, may no longer even exist in the iOS App Store, any longer, either.

This is NOT the fault of Apple.

The Apple iOS App Store is a marketplace for third party app developers where Apple takes a monetary percentage of the price the third party app developer puts on an app. App developers are selling the rights to the use of their apps to users.

You only, basically “rent” software on iOS devices.

Third party app developers can, and DO, for a myriad of reasons, stop supporting their software on iOS/devices at anytime without warning to its users.

There is nothing to be done.

Sorry.

IOS14.5 and 14.5.1 stop older apps working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.