You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud activation lock on iPhone 11 Pro Max

good evening, i've bought an iphone 11 pro max recently, and it was working properly until i had to enter my icloud id and password.

it keeps asking me for the previous owner's icloud.

when i contacted him he said that he does'nt get what i mean.. "an old age decent man"

and now i am stuck on icloud activation lock

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 2:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 2:48 PM

Good Evening momen37 and welcome to Apple Support Communities - I'm sorry to read about the issues you are facing. Whenever you purchase a second-hand iPhone, it is important to check for Activation Lock.

To remove this you will need Proof of Purchase, if you have bought it from a person directly, you will likely not have sufficient proof to satisfy Apple's requirements (This whole policy is in place to prevent stolen phones, which in principal is a great idea but sadly it seems to effect people in situations like yourself)

How to remove Activation Lock – Apple Support

Are you able to contact the previous owner again and ask them to remove their Apple ID? I understand he has previously been unwilling to help you, but if you try to explain your issues with the device then hopefully he/she will be kind enough to help you.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 3, 2021 2:48 PM in response to momen37

Good Evening momen37 and welcome to Apple Support Communities - I'm sorry to read about the issues you are facing. Whenever you purchase a second-hand iPhone, it is important to check for Activation Lock.

To remove this you will need Proof of Purchase, if you have bought it from a person directly, you will likely not have sufficient proof to satisfy Apple's requirements (This whole policy is in place to prevent stolen phones, which in principal is a great idea but sadly it seems to effect people in situations like yourself)

How to remove Activation Lock – Apple Support

Are you able to contact the previous owner again and ask them to remove their Apple ID? I understand he has previously been unwilling to help you, but if you try to explain your issues with the device then hopefully he/she will be kind enough to help you.

Jun 3, 2021 2:52 PM in response to Ijustwanttolookattheforums

Proof of Purchase of a second-hand phone is useless. Apple will remove the lock only for the original owner and then only if he can produce an invoice which must show the serial, IMEI or MEID number.

@momen37 - there is absolutely no way whatever that you are going to be able to remove the Activation Lock. The only way of unlocking it is for the previous owner to provide you with the ID and password, or for him to remove it from his list of devices. If he can't or won't do this the phone is useless

iCloud activation lock on iPhone 11 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.