You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing not working - Pages on Mac

Help!

I teach a course that starts in one week and I have been using iCloud sharing of Pages documents for class "handouts". (Yes, I know there are other tools that can do this, but my documents are in pages, so this is nicer than exporting them to Google Docs and sharing that way, for example). In any case - as of about three weeks ago, any time I hit "Collaborate" in Pages, it hangs on "starting collaboration". Later on, if I reopen the document, it shows an alert icon and says "Pages couldn't connect to iCloud" and that I will be able to edit again once the connection resumes. I don't even have the option to disconnect from sharing.

All other iCloud services are running on this machine fine. This problem seems to be with items originating on the Macbook, because I just created and shared a file on the same Pages account from my iPhone just fine. Any ideas?

Running Catalina 10.15.7 on a 2019 Macbook pro, Pages version 11.1

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 6:18 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jun 8, 2021 8:07 AM in response to MargotAV

Hi MargotAV,

It sounds like you're getting the alert "Pages couldn't connect to iCloud" in Pages. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities. Let's see if this helps.

Follow the steps in the section, If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services. This link has the most frequent solutions to troubleshooting when you can't connect to an Apple service like iCloud. While all the steps are important, one thing that we noticed immediately is step three in the link above. Because you are running Catalina you may need to upgrade. Here's How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur. This link will guide you through how to check and see if an upgrade is compatible with your Mac. While upgrading may seem like a simple step, it often resolves issues like this when all other steps have been exhausted. 

For the future be sure to check out "Features not supported with collaboration" in About collaboration for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote

If the issue remains after following those steps, let us know what steps you had a chance to try from above. 

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

Sharing not working - Pages on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.