You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos seem to be not downloading from iCloud

Yesterday I created a new Photo Library on an external hard drive and set it as the System Photo Library so that it would sync with I could and download my photos to my MacBook.

It very quickly started loading thumbnails and at the bottom of the screen showed the number of photos and videos in iCloud. Under this a progress bar appeared with “updating”.

I left it alone but kept watch on it until I went to bed. At some point during the night it went from “updating” to “downloading originals” but progress bar and the downloading number haven’t changed around 7am (when I woke up). It is now nearly 5pm here.

I’ve tried Apple support but I’m having difficulties understanding the accents of the agents today - and likewise they are clearly not understanding me.

I restarted the MacBook earlier and the only difference is that the downloading number changed by one.

i restarted again a few minutes ago and now the photos library is taking ages to open.

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 9:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 10:51 PM

Sync to an empty library will normally be faster, but only because there is no upload to do as well as the download. It is not faster downloading than uploading. Like I say, it seems not to be limited by your internet speed, unless your internet speed is even slower than apple servers.

250GB if it goes the same speed as mine, you can expect 10 days (My sync was one way only, also, but in my case from my Mac to an empty iCloud). Maybe it will go quicker, maybe slower.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 10, 2021 10:51 PM in response to NeddySeagoon

Sync to an empty library will normally be faster, but only because there is no upload to do as well as the download. It is not faster downloading than uploading. Like I say, it seems not to be limited by your internet speed, unless your internet speed is even slower than apple servers.

250GB if it goes the same speed as mine, you can expect 10 days (My sync was one way only, also, but in my case from my Mac to an empty iCloud). Maybe it will go quicker, maybe slower.

Jun 10, 2021 9:54 PM in response to NeddySeagoon

It just takes time. Days - or weeks for a large library. For reference, my 5000 image 50GB library took 48 hours full time to sync with iCloud. During this time the progress indicator would often not change for hours at a time. This is not limited by your internet speed, but by apple servers.

How big is your library? (How much iCloud space does it take)?

Leave your mac on with photos open 24/7. It will complete eventually. Avoid restarting your mac, and do NOT turn off iCloud then turn it on again - that just restarts the process from the beginning.

Photos seem to be not downloading from iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.