You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

For the masters: How to install a new OS when com-R/ option-com-R/ and even an external boot won't work?

My 13 year old son did quite a job on a new MacBook Air. It's rose from 2019.

He installed Windows on Bootcamp. Beyond that … I don't know.

My goal is to wipe it, install a new OS, and begin life anew.

• Command-R sends the computer in a series of endless reboots/restarts.

• Option command-R DOES ask for an internet connection, and starts to download something (I guess) but then always ends in a globe with a triangle/exclamation point (1008F)

• I created an external bootable USB (256GB) and put BIGSUR on it using Terminal (I guess I turned it INTO the install disk, technically)

Restart with option DOES show me Windows or the install disk. But I click on the install and … I don't install.

I'm out of ideas.

Help?

Derek

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 4:44 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 27, 2021 7:01 AM in response to millerdb

The issue on this machine regarding booting from ANY External Drive is covered in this Apple Document - About Startup Security Utility. By default - the computer will not boot from any external drive - period. Unless it can be booted into Recovery Mode ( Command + r ) immediately at startup and changing the Secure Boot Options - this may require a trip to an Apple Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Centre.

For the masters: How to install a new OS when com-R/ option-com-R/ and even an external boot won't work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.