You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone Backup Password Help

I bought the new IPhone 12 today, I previously had the X. The night before, I did a backup of my phone to my macbook. When trying to restore this backup to my new IPhone, it is asking for a password. I don't have my old IPhone since I traded it in, and I've tried every password I can think of. I spoke with someone from Apple Support and they were of no help. The issue is I never created a password for this backup, and I backed up my previous IPhone in the same way with no problem. What the **** do I do? This is infuriating since I've lost work contacts that will be difficult to acquire again

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 7:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 7:18 PM

If you forgot the encrypted password there is nothing you can do to restore that backup, sorry. This article explains the options:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

Similar questions

7 replies

Jun 27, 2021 8:01 PM in response to PaigeMN

PaigeMN Said:

"Iphone Backup Password Help: [...]The issue is I never created a password for this backup, and I backed up my previous IPhone in the same way with no problem. What the [...] do I do? This is infuriating since I've lost work contacts that will be difficult to acquire again"

-------

What to Do:

Learn from this --- the next time you get a new iPhone, make a backup of the current one, and make note of the password. Keep a handwritten, hardcopy of the password, and store it in a location that only your are aware of, and only you have access to.

Jun 27, 2021 8:40 PM in response to PaigeMN

PaigeMN Said:

"Hi, thank you for your reply, but the problem is that I never created a password for the backup in the first place"

-------

Ask the Seller:

Is it a used iPhone you purchased? Did you purchase this from someone other than Apple? If so, take it up with the seller.

A Returned Item, Perhaps?:

I've read on here plenty of times of a retuned item that was never disassociated from an account, and they had to go through lots of steps with Apple. So, maybe it is a returned item? Ask Apple.

Iphone Backup Password Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.