You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

second monitor 'input signal out of range'

Hi, I have a macbook pro connected to a HP 2009 v monitor, which up until recently has been working fine. I've now got a message on the monitor saying 'Input signal out of range, change settings to 1600x900 - 60Hz'. I've tried changing the display settings in system preferences and changing the display isn't working, even when I try changing it in safe mode. How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 3:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2021 8:35 AM

Hello em1279,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities!

We see that you are unexpectedly getting an error message on your external HP monitor.

We’d be happy to help you!

You can follow any steps that you haven’t already in If your external display isn't detected or appears blurry on your Mac.

You can also follow the steps in How to reset the SMC of your Mac.

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 30, 2021 8:35 AM in response to em1279

Hello em1279,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities!

We see that you are unexpectedly getting an error message on your external HP monitor.

We’d be happy to help you!

You can follow any steps that you haven’t already in If your external display isn't detected or appears blurry on your Mac.

You can also follow the steps in How to reset the SMC of your Mac.

Take care.

second monitor 'input signal out of range'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.