You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Message when try to update

I keep getting an error message when I try to download macOS Big Sur. It says an error occurred and to check my internet connection. My internet connection is working perfectly. Has done this 6-7 times now.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 5:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 6:00 PM

Shutdown the Mac completely. Hold the SHIFT key and power on and keep holding SHIFT until you reach the login screen. Login and immediately after pressing Return hold the SHIFT key again. If it's encrypted via FileVault2 you will see a second login screen. Login again and again hold SHIFT till you reach the desktop. It will take longer than normal to boot. Give it a minute after you reach the desktop and then shutdown again. Start up normally.

Then retry the update via System Preferences -> Software Update

Safe Mode runs a disk scan and cleans up many system caches that can cause bizarre problems if the caches are messed up. If it still doesn't work. How much free space do you have? People with 128GB disks have had issues having enough free space to install Big Sur or later on installing an update.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 29, 2021 6:00 PM in response to utart03

Shutdown the Mac completely. Hold the SHIFT key and power on and keep holding SHIFT until you reach the login screen. Login and immediately after pressing Return hold the SHIFT key again. If it's encrypted via FileVault2 you will see a second login screen. Login again and again hold SHIFT till you reach the desktop. It will take longer than normal to boot. Give it a minute after you reach the desktop and then shutdown again. Start up normally.

Then retry the update via System Preferences -> Software Update

Safe Mode runs a disk scan and cleans up many system caches that can cause bizarre problems if the caches are messed up. If it still doesn't work. How much free space do you have? People with 128GB disks have had issues having enough free space to install Big Sur or later on installing an update.

Error Message when try to update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.