You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files mysteriously deleting from my computer, moving themselves to the cloud.

My files keep becoming unopeneable. I have to click 'download now' under the right click menu to get them from the cloud to open them. Shortly after I download them and have them open im greeted to a popup reading: "The document "XXX" could not be reverted. The file doesn't exist." and in the subheading: "This document can no longer be used because its file has become unreadable, so it must be closed." After clicking download now again I can reopen and use the files, until they shut down once again minutes later.

For posterity, I've had them open at the same time and they both simultaneously get the error message. I've also tried removing them from my iCloud drive and replacing them, duplicating the files, and for oen file I even took a screenshot of the content and tried using the screenshot instead, only to be met with the same problem.

Just wondering if anyone has encountered the same issue, or has any information as to why this happens.

PS. I tried attaching screenshots but the forum won't let me. If that could help im sure I can arrange you receiving them.

Thanks

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 12:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2021 1:10 PM

Hey there, jacksonmuns!

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! We understand you're having trouble accessing files on your Mac from iCloud Drive. We'd like to lend so you can access your files.

To get started, do you have the latest macOS version installed? If not, we recommend doing this next to ensure you are no experiencing issues due to older software. Use the link below to help with updates:

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Once you have the latest software installed, go ahead and try booting your Mac in safe mode, then test to see if the files appear as expected:

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Feel free to post an update for continued support.

Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 2, 2021 1:10 PM in response to jacksonmuns

Hey there, jacksonmuns!

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! We understand you're having trouble accessing files on your Mac from iCloud Drive. We'd like to lend so you can access your files.

To get started, do you have the latest macOS version installed? If not, we recommend doing this next to ensure you are no experiencing issues due to older software. Use the link below to help with updates:

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Once you have the latest software installed, go ahead and try booting your Mac in safe mode, then test to see if the files appear as expected:

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Feel free to post an update for continued support.

Cheers!

Files mysteriously deleting from my computer, moving themselves to the cloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.