You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Trash automatically deletes files, big sur.

My Trash automatically deletes files in Big Sur.

iMac 24″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 12:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 6:10 PM

It would help to know what command you used.

Regardless, this might resolve your problem.

Open you home folder in Finder (cmd-shift-h)

Type this shortcut: cmd-shift-. ← that is a period at the end of the command. Or, I guess you might consider it cmd->

That will show the hidden files in your home.

Find the Trash folder and Move it to the Trash. You may get requested to Authenticate to remove it.

Empty the Trash.

Try dragging something into the Trash (that will cause the OS to create a new Trash folder in your Home).

You can type cmd-shift-. again to hide the hidden files.

Note that on some keyboards, that command does not work. If it doesn't show the hidden files, there is another way. Copy/paste the following into Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder ShowAllFiles TRUE

After you are done, use this to hide them again:

defaults write com.apple.finder ShowAllFiles FALSE
4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 19, 2021 6:10 PM in response to jdc85

It would help to know what command you used.

Regardless, this might resolve your problem.

Open you home folder in Finder (cmd-shift-h)

Type this shortcut: cmd-shift-. ← that is a period at the end of the command. Or, I guess you might consider it cmd->

That will show the hidden files in your home.

Find the Trash folder and Move it to the Trash. You may get requested to Authenticate to remove it.

Empty the Trash.

Try dragging something into the Trash (that will cause the OS to create a new Trash folder in your Home).

You can type cmd-shift-. again to hide the hidden files.

Note that on some keyboards, that command does not work. If it doesn't show the hidden files, there is another way. Copy/paste the following into Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder ShowAllFiles TRUE

After you are done, use this to hide them again:

defaults write com.apple.finder ShowAllFiles FALSE

Jul 19, 2021 1:02 PM in response to jdc85

What do you mean by “automatically?”

There is a setting in Finder preferences to delete items over 30 days old.

If you mean that it deletes them as soon as you move them to the trash, that usually implies there is a problem with the Trash folder permissions. Have you noticed any other permission related issues in your home folder?

My Trash automatically deletes files, big sur.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.