You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard and trackpad stopped working but work with Ubuntu

Hi, last day I switched on my MacBook air and all of a sudden the trackpad and keyboard did not work anymore, however, the power button worked fine.

After reading many forums this is what I tried:

1. I did reset many time NVRAM and SMC (note that the keyboard would function when used to reset)
  2. I did a new installation of OS (a tried with Big Sur, High Sierra and Yosemite) and did not work.
  3. I used ubuntu live to completely erase the SD and install again the OS
  4. Tried all tips found online, like removing .plist files etc

Then to be sure that was not a hardware issue I opened the MacBook and looked at the cables connecting the keyboard and board, and it was just fine (no water damages)

Out of frustration, I installed Ubuntu and the keyboard and trackpad are perfectly working.

Any idea of what is going on?

The issue seems to have appeared after upgrading to Big Sur

Thx :)

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 11:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 8:19 AM

I believe I had the same problem. First I had fan issues, then the keyboard issues. I went to the apple store, I did multiple recoveries, both clean and backups. With he same problem reoccurring. My solution is on this thread here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252950157, with multiple other threads listed at the bottom with people with the same problem. I know it sounds dumb, but it worked for me.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 28, 2021 8:19 AM in response to ludolore

I believe I had the same problem. First I had fan issues, then the keyboard issues. I went to the apple store, I did multiple recoveries, both clean and backups. With he same problem reoccurring. My solution is on this thread here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252950157, with multiple other threads listed at the bottom with people with the same problem. I know it sounds dumb, but it worked for me.

Aug 10, 2021 2:32 PM in response to ludolore

I have been having this problem for about a week. I can work for hours, and then suddenly, my bluetooth mouse and keyboard stop responding. Interestingly, I can tab with the on-board keyboard. But I can't TYPE with the on-board keyboard, and I can't click with the trackpad.

The only solution so far seems to be a cold reboot. I've had to do this once or twice a day for nearly a week. And I haven't upgraded - I'm still on Catalina. What's up with this? Macbook Pro OK Catalina. 10.15.7, 2.67 GHz processor, 32 GB RAM, Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB graphics card.

Keyboard and trackpad stopped working but work with Ubuntu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.