You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard not working, power button does, help troubleshooting please

Hello,

Recently I was using my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-Inch, Mid 2015) laptop and the keyboard stopped working while I pressed the screen brightness button.

I am running 10.13.6

I have been using a Windows wired keyboard for the past few days and am looking for help after trying what seems to be every tutorial out there.

What I know for sure is that:

A) The power button works.

B) No other keys work for any input.

C) I have tried resetting the SMC (yes the charger blinked). Yet nothing happened when I logged back in.

D) I did not spill any fluids.

I am looking for help with either 1) more verbose methods of resetting the hardware/software or 2) pointers for investigating whether or not I should replace any hardware or check for damage, etc.

I tried resetting the PRAM with the built in keyboard with no result. It did not do anything different on startup.

I tried this then with a wired keyboard and it did the restart thing as described and I held for 20 seconds. However, the result is still the same and the keyboard does not work.

I am going to see about the diagnostics next.

Thank you very much. I am happy to provide anymore information as necessary.

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 5:04 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 28, 2022 5:35 PM in response to Hansconofficial

If the Keyboard and Trackpad fail at the same time on a 2015 MBPro, then it is usually due to a bad Trackpad IDP Flex Cable.

Also see if your laptop qualifies for the Battery Recall program:

15-inch MacBook Pro Battery Recall Program - Apple Support

FYI, here is the current list of the publicly acknowledged free repair programs for various Apple products (some products have multiple programs):

Apple Service Programs - Apple Support

Keyboard not working, power button does, help troubleshooting please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.