You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden loss of keyboard & other functions

From one day to another without any apparent reason I have some problems with my Macbook Pro from 2017. Overnight the whole battery drained from 100% while set to sleep and the entire keyboard doesn’t work - except for the power button. The computer doesn’t seem to go to sleep and is warm at all times (even when ‘sleeping’) and sometimes even blowing even without any apps running. Battery function has decreased massively and a full battery will last maybe 2 hrs while the mac is not doing anything.

I tried SCM and pram resets without any luck. I have attached a windows keyboard on it to try these resets again. The pram reset seemed to work as it made the start up sound twice, but the problems are still there. Ran the diagnostics but no errors were found.

I am now thinking to buy a mac keyboard to try the resets with the proper keys or otherwise just use the laptop with a keyboard but I was hoping if there are any other options available to do as I live quite far from the closest shop and mac keyboard are really overpriced imo.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 3:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 5:23 AM

gaethceouil wrote:

From one day to another without any apparent reason I have some problems with my Macbook Pro from 2017. Overnight the whole battery drained from 100% while set to sleep and the entire keyboard doesn’t work - except for the power button. The computer doesn’t seem to go to sleep and is warm at all times (even when ‘sleeping’) and sometimes even blowing even without any apps running. Battery function has decreased massively and a full battery will last maybe 2 hrs while the mac is not doing anything.

I tried SCM and pram resets without any luck. I have attached a windows keyboard on it to try these resets again. The pram reset seemed to work as it made the start up sound twice, but the problems are still there. Ran the diagnostics but no errors were found.

I am now thinking to buy a mac keyboard to try the resets with the proper keys or otherwise just use the laptop with a keyboard but I was hoping if there are any other options available to do as I live quite far from the closest shop and mac keyboard are really overpriced imo.

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 10, 2021 5:23 AM in response to gaethceouil

gaethceouil wrote:

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Sudden loss of keyboard & other functions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.