You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook won't turn on unless plugged in.

Hello, today I took my machine (MacBook Pro (13 inch), no Touch Bar, 2017) back from an authorised repair shop, where they replaced the keyboard under the butterfly keyboard replacing warranty. The keyboard is replaced alongside with the battery and the lower aluminium frame. Everything worked fine in the store, but 20 mins later at home the computer didn't start. I connected it to the charger and after a few tries I got it to work. However, I had some very unusual symptoms:

-The computer can't stay on unless plugged in to the power, as if it was a desktop computer.

-Fans are loud and seem to be working at high speed regardless of temperature, and do so from the very moment the computer starts.

-Keyboard backlight is off and its control keys are unresponsive. Screen brightness is fine.

-Battery status doesn't appear on menu bar. Went to settings to manually activate it but it just pops in for .5 seconds and then disappears again. I managed to click it once before it left and it showed a crossed out battery icon, as if the computer didn't recognise the battery.

My best bet is that the battery simply disconnected on the way home due to bad luck. Tomorrow ill get it checked at the store again and see. If someone knows what's wrong, please tell. I will follow up on this with the cause as soon as they tell me exactly what happened.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 2:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 2:34 PM

Taking it in is the right thing to do at this point; they did the work and that is usually covered by a warranty (Apple's is 90 days). And it is impossible ti diagnose this without actually looking at it.

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 6, 2020 4:20 PM in response to AlJuls

Hey, so I got it fixed. Turns out a board component (can't remember exactly which, sorry) was slightly misaligned and some pins weren't connected properly. Took it in and the tech guys fixed it in under 5 minutes, and now my MacBook works perfectly. In case you experience these symptoms know that it might not be a serious problem, rest easy!

My Macbook won't turn on unless plugged in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.