You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After moving System Photos Library to External Drive - can I Download Originals?

Hi All,

I have a large photos library ~2TB, 100k+ photos, that is optimized on my current HD as it is too large.

I saw a solution of moving (i.e. copying the Photos Library) to an external connected drive (https://support.apple.com/en-hk/HT201517).

I want to understand if after that, it is possible to Download Originals onto the external drive so that I can make proper backups?

Best,

Andy

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 2:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 2:27 AM

To beable to download the originals to the moved library, you have to make it temporarily your System Photos library and then the iCloud Photos Library, as only one library can sync with iCloud.

1 reply

After moving System Photos Library to External Drive - can I Download Originals?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.