You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since latest update, when I turn on caps lock, my MacBook Pro freezes

Since the most recent updates (I'm now on 11.5.1), if I press the caps lock key, my MacBook will freeze for several seconds. The cursor moves, but nothing works and I can't type anything.

I restarted several times, and reset the SMC and PRAM, but the issue still keeps happening.

Additionally, my Mac has restarted several times "because of a problem," which is becoming increasingly annoying as I try to get work done.

This was posed as a question in another thread, but it was marked as answered, and as I'm about to return to work (teaching) for the fall, I need to not have my computer freezing repeatedly.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 7:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 12:46 PM

This happens to me, too (the caps lock thing, not the crashing). No other bad behavior. MacOS 11.5.1.

A standard thing to try is  starting up in Safe Mode. This helps determine if some third party software conflict is in play.

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 6, 2021 1:11 PM in response to CT

In my case, the problem did not occur while I was in Safe Mode, but it was also gone when I restarted into the normal mode. So, it is hard to know at this point where the problem is. Another thing to try is to login to a different account (e.g. Guest) to see if the problem persists there.

Since latest update, when I turn on caps lock, my MacBook Pro freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.