You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Installer – final install sequence hangs at 30% through

I am installing Big Sur on a USB key. So I can boot off the key without changing my main OS Catalina system.

I have used the Startup Security utility to enable booting from a USB device.

I have downloaded and started the installer and selected the USB key.

The files have been installed on the USB key

Then when the MacBook Pro is rebooted it starts the final installation sequence.

The Process hangs at around 30% of the way through.

I have left it like this for two or three hours. The install bar does not move.

I have repeated the whole process twice and the same result. And after running the installer, I have rebooted the macBook to start the final install three times and the same result.

NB. Please note – I am not trying to make an installer on a USB key, I am trying to run the OS directly from the key.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 5:30 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 9, 2021 7:02 AM in response to mr.datsun

I don't know how to unmarked it as solved. You could try to click on the arrow down symbol.

Sorry, my mistake. I forgot that you need APFS for Big Sur.

Is your Mac connected to the internet when booting from the USB drive? It is possible that Big Sur needs to download additional files while finishing up the installation.

Big Sur Installer – final install sequence hangs at 30% through

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.