You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod timers & alarms

dies anyone know why my wife would not be able to set alarms or timers from the exact HomePod/room that I am able besides the fact that I am the primary user and the person that set up the HomePod. Like Siri recognizes who my wife is in the family and everything and refers to her by name and everything but my wife can only set alarms/timers with her voice unlike myself, Where I can actually set them from voice or from the home app. I double checked multiple times to make sure she was in the right room and HomePod and everything we both have iPhone 12 Pro Max’s in latest iOS and the HomePod is fully updated to 14.7

HomePod mini, 14

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 3:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 4:34 PM

Have her check settings on her iPhone:

To let Siri recognize who in the family is speaking and manage their calendar, make phone calls, play their own music, and more, turn on the following settings: 

• Go to Settings > Siri & Search. Turn on Listen for "Hey Siri." 
  • Go to Settings > [your name] > Find My > and turn on Share My Location. Then set My Location to This Device. 
  • Open the Home app, tap Home  , then select Home Settings. Tap your user profile under People, and turn on: 
    • Recognize my Voice: Allows Siri to know your name, access your music library and Apple Music account, use Find My, and control secure HomeKit accessories from HomePod. 
    • Personal Requests: Lets you use HomePod to send and read messages, make phone calls, check your calendar, add reminders, create notes, run Siri Shortcuts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and more. HomePod might require authentication for some requests and will send a notification to your iPhone to authenticate the task. If you have more than one HomePod in your home, you can turn Personal Requests on or off for each HomePod.

Set up multiple users on HomePod - Apple Support

If these settings had already been applied you might try toggling off then back on

Do all this for your account as well because it wasn’t clear on who could or couldn’t do what task!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 14, 2021 4:34 PM in response to Alexander_7

Have her check settings on her iPhone:

To let Siri recognize who in the family is speaking and manage their calendar, make phone calls, play their own music, and more, turn on the following settings: 

• Go to Settings > Siri & Search. Turn on Listen for "Hey Siri." 
  • Go to Settings > [your name] > Find My > and turn on Share My Location. Then set My Location to This Device. 
  • Open the Home app, tap Home  , then select Home Settings. Tap your user profile under People, and turn on: 
    • Recognize my Voice: Allows Siri to know your name, access your music library and Apple Music account, use Find My, and control secure HomeKit accessories from HomePod. 
    • Personal Requests: Lets you use HomePod to send and read messages, make phone calls, check your calendar, add reminders, create notes, run Siri Shortcuts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and more. HomePod might require authentication for some requests and will send a notification to your iPhone to authenticate the task. If you have more than one HomePod in your home, you can turn Personal Requests on or off for each HomePod.

Set up multiple users on HomePod - Apple Support

If these settings had already been applied you might try toggling off then back on

Do all this for your account as well because it wasn’t clear on who could or couldn’t do what task!

Aug 15, 2021 4:59 PM in response to Vancouver22

Hey I apologize but yea I’m able to do everything I want with my HomePod mini just fine but my wife is not able to set timers or alarms but can do everything else. She doesn’t even have the options for alarms or timers like I do hers is blank. Thank you for the resource for this I work a ton and just didn’t really look into it, I’m going to use that resource when I get off work :) Thank you!!

Aug 19, 2021 3:05 AM in response to Rockjedi76

I found that my wife did not have personal requests turned on under her permissions in the home settings.

steps that I performed

open home app > “click” home symbol in the top left corner > “click” home settings > “click”the person under people you want to adjust settings for > personal request must be turned on.

P.S. It would not let me turn on personal request for my wife or daughter I had to complete the steps above from their iPhones to get there settings adjusted correctly to utilize the personal request.

HomePod timers & alarms

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.