You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro crashing after installing MacOS Catalina Security Update 2021-004

Yesterday I installed this security update. Ever since, my Macbook Pro continually and randomly crashes. Is anyone else's Macbook pro crashing after installing macOS Catalina Security Update 2021-004?

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 4:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 10:10 AM

caisbrewer wrote:

Yesterday I installed this security update. Ever since, my Macbook Pro continually and randomly crashes. Is anyone else's Macbook pro crashing after installing macOS Catalina Security Update 2021-004?

Have you rebooted since the install...

You can try a safeboot to clear system cache files  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Reboot as normal to test.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 15, 2021 10:10 AM in response to caisbrewer

caisbrewer wrote:

Have you rebooted since the install...

You can try a safeboot to clear system cache files  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Reboot as normal to test.

Aug 18, 2021 2:31 PM in response to sung soo

After some research and helpful suggestions from this community, I reset the PRAM and the problem has been resolved. Thanks everyone!

—Sung Soo...Here's the directions:

How to reset PRAM/NVRAM

1. Turn off your Mac.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately press the Command+Option+P+R keys.
  4. Hold the keys until your Mac restarts and you hear the startup sound.
  5. Release the keys.

Macbook Pro crashing after installing MacOS Catalina Security Update 2021-004

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.