You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS/iPadOS Photo Captions Not Imported When Importing Photos Directly to Photos

I add captions after taking photos and videos on my iPhone to organize them. But when I import those photos and videos to my Mac through Photos app's direct import tap that appears when I connect my devices to the Mac, the captions aren't ported. (Mac Photos app simply say that there's no caption when viewing the info.)

I tried Airdrop and manually imported the photos to the Photos app and the caption metadata was preserved. Is this a bug? Or is this a missing feature?

It would be really great if I can directly import photos while keeping the captions intact :)

Thank you!

Mac mini, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 12:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 7:27 AM

Hi

Like albums captions and keywords etc are kept in the database, not in the imagefile. When you sync via USB or Photos stream, or airdrop, you are only tranferring the image file, not any elements in the database.

The only way to sync Albums Keywords/captions etc is to use iCloud, because that is the only way the database is also synchronised.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 16, 2021 7:27 AM in response to kihaahn

Hi

Like albums captions and keywords etc are kept in the database, not in the imagefile. When you sync via USB or Photos stream, or airdrop, you are only tranferring the image file, not any elements in the database.

The only way to sync Albums Keywords/captions etc is to use iCloud, because that is the only way the database is also synchronised.

iOS/iPadOS Photo Captions Not Imported When Importing Photos Directly to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.