You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move full quality photos to an external hard drive when I'm already out of space?

I desperately need to clear up storage on my 2017 MacBook Pro. I have a 120gb hd. 42 is going towards Photos. (((for background info almost 10 is to apps, music creation (?) is 2, mail is less than a gig, system is almost 16 (!) and other is 32 (!?!?)))

I *think* the photos in the Photos app on the MacBook via iCloud syncing are all optimized. I did create a copy on my new 4tb LaCie external hard drive but I'm worried they are only optimized versions, meaning lower quality. Unfortunately I don't think I can even download the full images from iCloud to my MacBook because I have almost no storage left. (Last time I even tried to do an upgrade I was told I don't have enough space - currently running Big Sur 11.1.)

I've been slowly trying to go through photos but with 5000+ (family photos) it's taking me awhile because I'm also trying to order photo books to solve this problem once and for all! The Photos app on the Mac also isn't hasn't downloaded anything since February - but I double checked my iCloud settings and it is checked off to be doing so. Not sure if it's not happening because I need to install the update or if it's due to lack of storage.

So I'm **thinking** is there a way to sync my external hard drive to iCloud photos safely (all full sized/quality photos) so then I can remove the library off the Mac?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 9:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 11:52 PM

The useful link posted by mugay tells you how to prepare the external volume, so Photos can work with your library there. But it does not mention how move an otimized iCloud Photos Library. You are perfectly right - if you are running low on storage on your Mac and are using iCloud Photos with your Photos Library, most of the original image files will be missing from the library. After moving the library to your external drive, you have to make the library on the external as your System Photos Library and then enable iCloud Photos for it. This will disable iCloud for the library on your System volume.

Now you have to wait for the moved library to be uploaded to iCloud and merged into the iCloud library, then wait again for the library to be downloaded to your external volume. This can take several days or even longer, if your library is large. You will have to keep the external volume connected to the MBA, while this is happening. The external volume with your system photos library will always have to be connected, while you are signed into your user account, even if you are not using Photos.

You mention, that nothing has been downloaded from iCloud for a long time - but have all photos from your library been uploaded to iCloud? The initial syncing would be faster, if you simply copy your library to the external volume, just in case not all photos have been uploaded. Then create a new additional empty library on the external volume and make this library your System Photos Library and iCloud . This will save the trouble with uploading the library to iCloud again and merging it into the existing library, since it is empty. So you will only have a download from iCloud to the new library. It will essentially be identical to your current library, only the book projects will be missing. If you already have books, ready for printing, the trick with the empty library will not work and you need to sync your current library again with with iCloud to rescue your books.even if it takes longer.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2021 11:52 PM in response to OldMillenialMom

The useful link posted by mugay tells you how to prepare the external volume, so Photos can work with your library there. But it does not mention how move an otimized iCloud Photos Library. You are perfectly right - if you are running low on storage on your Mac and are using iCloud Photos with your Photos Library, most of the original image files will be missing from the library. After moving the library to your external drive, you have to make the library on the external as your System Photos Library and then enable iCloud Photos for it. This will disable iCloud for the library on your System volume.

Now you have to wait for the moved library to be uploaded to iCloud and merged into the iCloud library, then wait again for the library to be downloaded to your external volume. This can take several days or even longer, if your library is large. You will have to keep the external volume connected to the MBA, while this is happening. The external volume with your system photos library will always have to be connected, while you are signed into your user account, even if you are not using Photos.

You mention, that nothing has been downloaded from iCloud for a long time - but have all photos from your library been uploaded to iCloud? The initial syncing would be faster, if you simply copy your library to the external volume, just in case not all photos have been uploaded. Then create a new additional empty library on the external volume and make this library your System Photos Library and iCloud . This will save the trouble with uploading the library to iCloud again and merging it into the existing library, since it is empty. So you will only have a download from iCloud to the new library. It will essentially be identical to your current library, only the book projects will be missing. If you already have books, ready for printing, the trick with the empty library will not work and you need to sync your current library again with with iCloud to rescue your books.even if it takes longer.

How do I move full quality photos to an external hard drive when I'm already out of space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.