You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System on MacBook

Hello, I would like to ask if anyone has any experience with backup data to the system. I have a MacBook Pro (2017, 13-inch, 2.3GHz, 128GB and now 121GB on flash memory). I wanted to install a new macOS Big Sur and I found that I only have less than 10GB of flash memory left and that my system took up almost 80GB of space. Does anyone know what to do with it, where can I open the system and find out what is being backed up to my system at all and how to lubricate it? Thanks:)

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 12:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 3:02 PM

Restart holding Shift to enter Safe Mode. It's a bit longer boot, give it a time. Once up, restart normally and see if you some space back. That should clear some space.

Since Big Sur came with a lot of changes, I'd advise you to backup you personal data to an external disk and perform a clean install.

If you decide to go for it, do this:

Create a bootable installer How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Restart holding Option and select the installer to load Recovery Mode

Once RM is up, open Disk Utility and completely erase the drive. Remove all volumes and partitions. Check this Disk Utility User Guide for Mac - Apple Support, go to Table of Contents > Manage physical disk and volumes for a proper instruction on how to erase the disk in DU.

Close DU and reinstall macOS.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 26, 2021 3:02 PM in response to denissepechoc

Restart holding Shift to enter Safe Mode. It's a bit longer boot, give it a time. Once up, restart normally and see if you some space back. That should clear some space.

Since Big Sur came with a lot of changes, I'd advise you to backup you personal data to an external disk and perform a clean install.

If you decide to go for it, do this:

Create a bootable installer How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Restart holding Option and select the installer to load Recovery Mode

Once RM is up, open Disk Utility and completely erase the drive. Remove all volumes and partitions. Check this Disk Utility User Guide for Mac - Apple Support, go to Table of Contents > Manage physical disk and volumes for a proper instruction on how to erase the disk in DU.

Close DU and reinstall macOS.

System on MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.