You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you use Thunderbolt for Screen Sharing?

I recently broke the screen on my Early 2020 MacBook Air, however I still can use my 2018 MacBook Air. I still use my broken Mac by screen sharing over VNC, however, since VNC uses Wi-Fi, the picture occasionally lags, and I get no audio. Before I broke my Mac, I was going to buy a thunderbolt cable to connect the two Macs for file transfers. I need to know if I can share my screen via thunderbolt instead of Wi-Fi in any way. Using HDMI is generally annoying since the monitor I own has an extremely low resolution compared to the retina screen, and I only have the Multiport Adapter as a USB dongle for both Macs. I need to know if I can use the thunderbolt dongle to somehow access my other Mac.

I've heard some people used thunderbolt to create a network between the two Macs, but that would still leave network lag. I've also heard people use Target Disk Mode, though I've only seen people do it when both Macs are the same model.

In case this is important, the Mac would try to boot from has a macOS version supported by both devices, Catalina.

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 1:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 2:40 PM

kendocan wrote:
..I've heard some people used thunderbolt to create a network between the two Macs, but that would still leave network lag. ...

While using a Thunderbolt network to connect the two and Screen Sharing could be much better than WiFi or even ethernet, you still need to access the broken MacBook Air's screen to set up the connection.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 27, 2021 2:40 PM in response to kendocan

kendocan wrote:
..I've heard some people used thunderbolt to create a network between the two Macs, but that would still leave network lag. ...

While using a Thunderbolt network to connect the two and Screen Sharing could be much better than WiFi or even ethernet, you still need to access the broken MacBook Air's screen to set up the connection.

Can you use Thunderbolt for Screen Sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.