You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I still need to create a Back Up after using Migration Assistant?

I have a new 24 inch screen iMac. I have transferred (I think) everything from my old c 2015 21 inch iMac to the new machine using Apple's Migration Assistant. Do I still need to create a Back Up of my old data & files? (a subsidiary worry is that, if I do, I might overload iCloud with my old files and I will suddenly have to create a paying account for that)

iMac 24″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 4:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 4:44 AM

You need to set a new Time Machine backups of your new iMac running on an external HD (I recommend you have a separate one for this machine). This will make regular copies of your new machine and you can roll back or recover files. I have a new M1iMac and I'm using a dedicated older 1TB external drive for my time machine. With your old machine, if you aren't going to be using it anymore, I suggest making a copy of any old data on to a separate HD, just in case.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 16, 2021 4:44 AM in response to billk57

You need to set a new Time Machine backups of your new iMac running on an external HD (I recommend you have a separate one for this machine). This will make regular copies of your new machine and you can roll back or recover files. I have a new M1iMac and I'm using a dedicated older 1TB external drive for my time machine. With your old machine, if you aren't going to be using it anymore, I suggest making a copy of any old data on to a separate HD, just in case.

Do I still need to create a Back Up after using Migration Assistant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.