You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft 365 asking to renew, only on MacBook Pro, iDevices OK

Since latest security update (may be coincidence of course) all Office products on the MacBook are asking to renew the subscription. There is no problem on my iPad or iPhones. Request also out to Microsoft Forum but nothing back yet. Subscription auto renew is on. Account is fine.

Same problem on my spare admin ID on the mac

Before I wind back the updates by Time Machine I was wondering if there was anything else I can do.

Etrecheck attached.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 3:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 6:37 AM

LD150 wrote:

Supplementary - I just had to renew my Etrecheck power user license code too. Coincidence?

Most apps have some sort of "signature" they use to verify a license. When there is a mismatch, you will need to re-activate. Microsoft may include the operating system version in that.

As a convenience to me, EtreCheck's licensing signature is on a per-account level. So if you try to use it in your spare admin ID, you will need to reactivate it in that account. This doesn't count against your activations however. It is just so that EtreCheck doesn't have to try to save activation information somewhere outside the user account that might require root privileges.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 18, 2021 6:37 AM in response to LD150

LD150 wrote:

Supplementary - I just had to renew my Etrecheck power user license code too. Coincidence?

Most apps have some sort of "signature" they use to verify a license. When there is a mismatch, you will need to re-activate. Microsoft may include the operating system version in that.

As a convenience to me, EtreCheck's licensing signature is on a per-account level. So if you try to use it in your spare admin ID, you will need to reactivate it in that account. This doesn't count against your activations however. It is just so that EtreCheck doesn't have to try to save activation information somewhere outside the user account that might require root privileges.

Microsoft 365 asking to renew, only on MacBook Pro, iDevices OK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.