You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4k Movie Updates

It is my understanding that Apple rolled out a feature around the release of its 4k TV where they would update a movie from HD to 4k if it was purchased through the iTunes store. However, my question is this:

If I purchase a movie now (2021), through the iTunes store, and the highest quality available for purchase currently is HD, if 4k quality becomes available for purchase will Apple automatically update my HD purchase?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 9:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 6:08 AM

Hello Dthr3e,

It sounds like you want to know if you purchase an HD video, will you have access to a higher quality version of it if it is released. We understand how important this is to you and we are here to help.

If you previously bought an HD movie from the Apple TV app, you might have access to the 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos enhancements on a compatible device. If your purchase doesn't have a high-quality version now, it might be added later.

Your device will play the highest quality version available if this happens.

More information can be found here: Find movies with 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos in the Apple TV app

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2021 6:08 AM in response to DTHR3E

Hello Dthr3e,

It sounds like you want to know if you purchase an HD video, will you have access to a higher quality version of it if it is released. We understand how important this is to you and we are here to help.

If you previously bought an HD movie from the Apple TV app, you might have access to the 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos enhancements on a compatible device. If your purchase doesn't have a high-quality version now, it might be added later.

Your device will play the highest quality version available if this happens.

More information can be found here: Find movies with 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos in the Apple TV app

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers!

4k Movie Updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.