You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't send email on Mac Mail

I'm using the Mail program on a Mac laptop and while I can receive emails, I can no longer send them. The settings didn't change from my email provider, but to be safe I re-imputed them and my provider gave me different settings to try, but they didn't work either. I'm able to send email fine with this account in webmail and on another device I own, just not on my Mac.

Any suggestions on the possible cause or things to try would be appreciated.

MacBook

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 8:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 8:29 AM

Hello northerngirl222.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're unable to send emails when using the Mail app on your Mac. Being able to send emails is essential. Allow us to investigate this issue and assist in any way we can. We also notice that you're coming from the following resource below:

If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support

This is a great resource to review for when facing issues with your email. To confirm, did you follow all the steps listed within that specific resource? Including removing and re-adding your email account? We'd like you to use Connection Doctor and see which errors populate for your email. Check out this resource for steps on how to use Connection Doctor:

Use Connection Doctor in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Do you currently have any email filters enabled? If you're not sure this resource can show you how to check:

Filter emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Try creating a new user on your Mac. Then add your email account to that new user to test if you're able to send emails. This step will help us further isolate if this issue is related to a user profile issue:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Feel free to keep us updated on your results. Best of luck.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 29, 2021 8:29 AM in response to northerngirl222

Hello northerngirl222.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're unable to send emails when using the Mail app on your Mac. Being able to send emails is essential. Allow us to investigate this issue and assist in any way we can. We also notice that you're coming from the following resource below:

If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support

This is a great resource to review for when facing issues with your email. To confirm, did you follow all the steps listed within that specific resource? Including removing and re-adding your email account? We'd like you to use Connection Doctor and see which errors populate for your email. Check out this resource for steps on how to use Connection Doctor:

Use Connection Doctor in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Do you currently have any email filters enabled? If you're not sure this resource can show you how to check:

Filter emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Try creating a new user on your Mac. Then add your email account to that new user to test if you're able to send emails. This step will help us further isolate if this issue is related to a user profile issue:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Feel free to keep us updated on your results. Best of luck.

Oct 1, 2021 9:13 AM in response to Vilas_S

Thank you for getting back to me. I did go through all the steps already on the If you can't send or receive email on your Mac article and nothing worked. I have also now followed your advice and made sure there are no filters (there are none) and tried the email under another user and it still didn't work. I have also done the Connection Doctor and there are no errors showing. Do you have anything else I can try?

Oct 3, 2021 8:00 AM in response to northerngirl222

Hey there!

Thanks for following up with us. You've done a great job in troubleshooting this specific issue so far. To confirm, were you able to set up your guest account on your Mac? If so, were you able to successfully add your email account to test it if works while in use in the guest account? This is a great step to try to help further isolate a possible issue with a user account as the root cause of this specific issue.

If you're still unable to receive emails in your guest account, you might want to consider reaching out to Apple Support for additional help. Just in case, you can use the link below to reach them:

Get Support - Apple

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Can't send email on Mac Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.