You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove Startup Disk from About This Mac?

I've been wondering how this happens because when I usually open the About This Mac feature to check the information, it doesn't display the main drive/startup disk (Macintosh HD) most times although when I use disk utility to view it and make a change then it appears on the information. I am very confused about this because it goes back and forth between displaying the startup disk on About This Mac to not displaying it at all, which makes me think something is triggering it, like a switch.

I was wondering if there is any reason how this happens because I haven't really seen anyone talk about this from my browsing, and also if there was an option to remove it and be able to add it back in again, because even I prefer not seeing the startup disk information on the features although I don't mind seeing it there as well, and I would like to have an answer since this got me very curious, many thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 7:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 12:49 AM

I think the Startup disk is not shown if there are/were no other such volumes around when the Mac booted/is booted. I have many bootable volumes and sometimes when testing I verify there where the Mac booted from.

2 replies

Sep 30, 2021 6:58 PM in response to Matti Haveri

I guess this could explain it, because I don't really have any other volumes, since it's just usually Macintosh HD (the main built-in internal hard drive) for me and that's the way it always has been too so I think what you said to me is very helpful in letting me understand why this happens. I don't really know how other volumes work at all and I am not really interested because I don't want to risk damaging my computer, so yeah.

I appreciate your response though, thank you.

How to remove Startup Disk from About This Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.