You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mail IMAP issue

Hello,

I have an odd issue I am trying to resolve.

This is in macOS Big Sur 11.6 ~ NOT IOS...

I have installed an IMAP mail profile in Mail on my 27" iMac with current OS installed and the profile is greyed out when I open the mail app.

Normally, listed at the top of the folder dock are the three profiles I use but for this one, I have to scroll to the bottom of the dock to read the mail. The profile does appear at the top with the other two but is inaccessible there.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and nothing seems to work to remedy this situation. The mail is delivered and received but not within "all inboxes."

Thanks in advance,

Gordon

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 4:37 PM

6 replies

Oct 5, 2021 4:39 PM in response to liamwazza

I hope I can make this make sense for you.

The email account I was having an issue with was docked in the "favorites" at the top of the folder view. I had to uninstall the profile for admin reasons but the account stayed in place but was greyed out. I uninstalled, reinstalled, it wouldn't go away or get over written.

I just now, on a whim, dragged it out of the mail program and Viola, it disappeared. Then I added the new profile into favorites and all is back to working order.

Cheers

Seems stupid really but that is how Apple works.

Oct 5, 2021 5:10 PM in response to gchdrake

Oh okay i think i get what you mean, what mail app are you using? Sounds like how Outlook operates to me, although i’ve never used outlook on mac only on iphone but it sounds similar to issues i’ve had with outlook on windows before. if its apple mail im guessing the app makes a local copy if you have the folder saved anywhere other than in the address that it originates from - which would be why it wasn't completely gone when you removed the account as it would have cached a copy to the default account (or possibly even the app itself) not too sure how apple mail works though so i’m probably completely wrong haha

if it is outlook its most likely a microsoft issue thats caused it rather than an apple issue. Constantly have issues and bugs with microsoft software - but this is apple forum so i’ll leave it there

glad you got it sorted and thanks for letting me know how! Always interesting to see how apple issues are resolved as i mainly use windows for this kind of stuff and then iphone and applewatch as my personal devices. Apple is definitely superior haha! The security on apple devices is unmatched!

Mac mail IMAP issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.