You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

US keyboards for my Mac

Hi,

I am a French guy living in Japan.

In my former job, I used to use Windows PCs with US keyboards.

For years, I have also been using US keyboards on my Macs, as I am used to US keyboards and French keyboards are not available in Japan.

As I used to do in Windows, I would like to link French language typing to my US keyboard, but this seems impossible on MacOS. I expected this to be improved in MacOS 11 then 12, but I don't see any improvement on this specific point.

So:

Is there any trick, so that I can let MacOS recognize that I am typing in French while using my US keyboard?

If not, I think that it's more than time for Apple to improve Keyboard/Language management on MacOS.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 5:59 PM

14 replies

Oct 6, 2021 7:38 PM in response to dialabrain

Hi #dialabrain,

I do know about Change the language your Mac uses - Apple Support

But this does NOT solve my problem at all.

OK, let me take an example:

On my MacBook, I run MacOS Big Sur (11.6) and Windows10, through Parallels.

I get this:

#dialabrain Oct 6, 2021 6:46 PM in response to berutoran

Input Sources only changes the keyboard layout. Apparently you didn't read the page I linked.

See: Change the language your Mac uses - Apple Support

Oct 7, 2021 4:11 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

OK, I need first to test something:

Can you tell me how I can switch from one language to another in Apple's apps? (for instance, I am typing a text in English in Pages, then I want to switch to French for the following paragraph, then switch again to Japanese... All in the same document, and easily.

In other words, can you explain me how to use this (MacOS Prefs)

and this (Pages spellcheck):

Oct 6, 2021 7:51 PM in response to berutoran

berutoran wrote:

Is there any trick, so that I can let MacOS recognize that I am typing in French while using my US keyboard?

It's not really a trick. MacOS has always set keyboards layout and spellcheck completely independently. You choose your keyboard in system preferences > keyboard > input sources. You choose your spellcheck in system preferences > keyboard > text > spelling (and in each app via Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Show Spelling and Grammar.)

You should have no problem typing French using US or any keyboard layout you want that has the necessary characters. You can even make your own custom layout with an app like Ukelele.

Note that MS Word doesn't use Apple's spellcheck but has its own. If you have problems with that app not applying French spellcheck while using a US keyboard layout, best check its own preferences and tools settings or ask in its MS forum.

Oct 6, 2021 9:38 PM in response to berutoran

berutoran wrote:

OK, let me take an example:
On my MacBook, I run MacOS Big Sur (11.6) and Windows10, through Parallels.

I think your problem is entirely with 3rd party apps which do not use Apple's spellcheck. You would not have these problems in any Apple app, and there is nothing that Apple can do to fix them in 3rd party apps. You need to contact the people who make them.

I think I saw once a trick to stop Word for Mac from having its spellcheck follow the keyboard layout. Will try to find it.

(If you do see this problem In any Apple app -- Mail, Safari, Pages, Notes, TextEdit, Message, etc -- let us know)

Oct 7, 2021 5:04 AM in response to berutoran

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that Apple's "automatic" will work properly. To maximize its potential, you need to go to the bottom of the list in system preferences > keyboard > text > spelling where it says "setup". Then make sure that only the boxes for the languages you want to include are checked.

The best way to make sure text is tagged according to the language you want is to switch the dictionary to that specific language when you start typing in it.

Oct 7, 2021 8:26 AM in response to berutoran

PS Regarding Word for Mac, I could not find any way to keep if from changing the text language when you change the input source, even though there is a box which should make this possible if left unchecked. It is totally buggy in this regard.

However the free Word clone LibreOffice does seem to behave properly, allowing the text to remain designated as French regardless of whether you have a US, German, or whatever input source active.

US keyboards for my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.